If you are from a non-EU country and you want to live in Spain long term, it’s likely you have been researching the various Spanish Visa types. There are many Spanish Visas available and it’s easy to get confused as to which one is right for you. Therefore, to help you along the way here’s a guide to the main types of Spanish Visas.

When no Visa is required

Visiting countries within the Schengen area allows you to stay for a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period without requiring a visa. This applies to various purposes such as tourism, visiting family or friends, attending business meetings, cultural or sports events, as well as engaging in short-term studies or training.

If you wish to extend your stay, work or study in Spain, or travel for business purposes or any other reason, you must fulfil the entry requirements set by the Spanish government. It is advisable to contact the Spanish consulate in the UK before your trip to inquire about the specific visa or work permit that may be necessary for your situation. We are also happy to assist in this respect.

Non-Lucrative Visa

Now that Brexit has removed automatic freedom of movement, obtaining a non-lucrative visa is a potential solution for retired and financially self-sufficient UK citizens who wish to spend time in Spain.

A Non-Lucrative Visa is a visa to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not constitute a work permit.

The Non-Lucrative Visa permits the stay of non-EU individuals in Spain for a maximum of one year, with the chance to extend this further.

To find out more about Non-Lucrative visa’s and who can apply click here.

Golden visa

The Golden Visa program is designed to grant residency in Spain to investors who make a significant investment. It provides an opportunity to reside in Spain but does not offer a direct path to citizenship. Nevertheless, if you obtain a Golden Visa and choose to establish your residence in Spain, you may become eligible for citizenship after 10 years, as long as you live in Spain for 6 months every year. The Spanish Golden Visa serves as a residency permit that grants full residency rights in Spain, as well as access to the Schengen Area and other European Union countries. This visa enables you, and your family (they get the same rights under this visa) to live and work in Spain, access the national healthcare system, and enjoy various other benefits.

A Golden Visa can be obtained when you buy a Spanish property of at least €500,000.

Student Visa

If your intention is to study or undergo training in Spain for a period exceeding 3 months, obtaining a student visa is necessary. There are various types of Spanish student visas available, each with different durations of validity. The application procedure entails the submission of several documents, and it is essential to be accepted into a course before initiating the visa application. To ensure ample processing time, the visa application should be submitted between 2 and 3 months prior to your planned travel to Spain.

Working Visa

The key to a working visa is that somebody must sponsor you.

Simply being willing to work in Spain or possessing a strong CV, technical skills, university degrees, master’s or PhD qualifications, and so on, is not sufficient. What you truly need is a Spanish company that is willing to hire you and undertake the necessary paperwork involved in the process.

A Spain work visa is a type of long-term stay visa that grants permission for foreigners to enter, reside, and work in Spain with official authorisation from the government. Non-EU/EEA citizens are required to obtain a work visa in order to legally live and work in Spain.

Work visas are typically handled by employers on behalf of their foreign employees, who must have a job offer or contract from a Spanish company. There are different types of work visas tailored to various job categories and lengths of employment, including employment visas, self-employed work visas, visas for highly-qualified professionals, and seasonal work visas. It is important to note that visa applications must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the expected travel date.

Business Visa

A business visa is a temporary visa valid for a duration of 3 months, specifically intended for individuals engaged in business-related activities. This visa allows entry into the country for purposes such as conducting business negotiations, attending meetings or conferences, and similar activities. It is important to note that a business visa is distinct from a work visa, and therefore, holders of a business visa are not authorised to work during their stay in the country. You will still require travel insurance and confirmed accommodation.

Nomad Visa 

Officially known as the International Tele Working Visa

The digital nomad visa was approved by parliament in November 2022 and gives non-EU nationals the chance to live and work in Spain for up to five years. The visa is aimed at people who live outside of the European Economic Area and are employed by a single company outside of Spain. The visa initially allows remote workers to live in the country for 12 months, with the option to apply for a residence permit, which can be renewed to stay for a total of five years if the applicant remains eligible. After five years of legally living in Spain, the applicant can apply for permanent residency.

We work closely with our clients to ensure the most appropriate visa is obtained and guide them through the process of obtaining the visa from start to finish.

To contact us to discuss your Spanish visa requirements call us on 0333 400 4499.