21 Sussex Innovation Centre
University of Sussex
Science Park Square
020 3034 0501
Mayumi was born and educated in Japan and in the UK (UK for post-graduate degrees). Before becoming a solicitor, Mayumi worked in Japan and in the UK at trading companies, and then in the property sector in London. Whilst working full-time, Mayumi retrained and qualified as a solicitor in 2009 and has since worked in private practices in London prior to joining Cognitive Law in July 2019.
Having previously worked in the property sector, Mayumi provides pragmatic advice on property matters. Examples of her clients include: -
- Freehold owners, tenants & lenders in non-contentious property transactions (both freehold and leasehold);
- Banks and other lenders in property financing;
- Restaurants, guesthouses, retails, trading companies and other SMEs in negotiating the lease terms and/or in settling property disputes;
- Various Japanese or Japan-related companies/banks in assisting their project management in the UK in respect of their asset acquisition; and
- UK companies in seeking recovery of their premises in insolvency matters.
Mayumi also advises and deals with:
- Reviewing and drafting a range of commercial agreements (e.g. service agreements, distribution and/or agency agreements) and terms of business;
- Setting up a business entity (including but not limited to supporting a start-up business in preparing necessary documents and dealing with compliance);
- Share purchase & buy back for private companies;
- GDPR compliance issues and reviewing cybersecurity policies;
- Employment matters (both contentious and non-contentious) including drafting contracts & policy documents, advising on procedures and on how to deal with claims/disputes.
Mayumi has over 25 years of professional experience in working for Japanese and Japan-related businesses and individuals, 10 of those years as a qualified solicitor in England and Wales.
Mayumi knows what and how to explain complicated matters in a plain language in English and in Japanese (Japanese is her first language). She particularly enjoys working for start-ups and SMEs as she sees their businesses develop.
Furthermore Mayumi supports businesses in her home town of Stroud, Gloucestershire with a vast range of business support and legal services. To find out more about these services click here - Hawkes & M Limited.
Outside her legal works, Mayumi relishes long country walks and tries to keep fit by going to the gym. She plays the clarinets in an orchestra in London. Amongst her friends, she often finds herself organising small parties or charity fund-raising events.
2019 年7月にCognitive Lawに移籍。
BJLA (British Japanese Law Association) Committee Member
ELA (Employment Lawyers Association) Member
"Wow, I am so impressed with the advice and quick response I received from Mayumi. She is so incredibly helpful, kind, and most of all empathetic (which is the most important aspect when dealing with high emotions). She gave me free advice, but the most amazing part of this is that she looked into it as much as she could (considering it was free advice) such as asking for contracts/emails/texts so she could give the best advice possible. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier and I know exactly what I need to do! Thank you so much Mayumi!"
"I am so impressed with Mayumi and the advice she gave me. I was in such a panic, but she was patient and thorough. It can be so intimidating reaching out to Solicitors and asking for advice, but she was so helpful. Thank you so much."
"Mayumi was so lovely and personable, and she clearly knows what she is talking about. Her advice was incredibly helpful and saved me a lot of money and energy. I will definitely be back to her when I sell my property."
"Mayumi Hawkes was excellent throughout the conveyancing, emails answered promptly, and we were always copied in on all correspondence. Mayumi was very helpful and professional at all times, highly recommended!"
David and Patricia